About me

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Turtle shell hat

OK, so the rest of y'all call it a pith helmet. Cool. I only use that name when I know I need to be understood by people not from around here. Or when searching on Amazon.

Behold! Something to keep my noggin cool. The sun off my neck and ears. The lions at bay. Yeah, I made up that last part.

It'll be a while before the band molds to my head, but in the mean time, just imagine the tendrils of smoke rising through those vents as I steam and smolder over one thing and another.

Every summer on the farm saw a new turtle shell hat. I usually bought the cardboard and paper variety, painted, and that'd last about a season. They were cheap, you know. My daddy always had the same hat, cloth covered. Somewhere in this world, that gnarly thing still lies unless they cremated it with him.

The band in this new one adjusts using velcro, not a shoe string like they used to. I'm not sure that's an improvement, but it does make the adjustment simpler. There's also no loose string to slip and tickle the back of mu nect. That's a definite improvement.

So, so, so, I suppose it's time we organoze a safari. We should practice a little, perhaps starting with an afternoon fishing trip to be sure we have the hats sized correctly. Just let me know when, and I'll get the cooler chilled and stocked.

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I wish it also had a fan clipped on the front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not. I once had a fan on the top. It didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete